November 20, 2023 6 Comments
Healthy Thanksgiving desserts are pretty hard to come by. The big favorite for Thanksgiving is pecan pie which is nowhere on the list of healthy options.
I love pecan pie but I also love apples and the lighter post-festive food that is Thanksgiving.
You don’t have to keep stuffing yourself after you eat the stuffing.
All of these options are easy to make and bring with you, and I know there will be people who admire your bravery for showing up with healthy options.
Here’s my favorite list of Thanksgiving tips to make your holiday easier (as well as healthier):
- Don’t throw away your food. I don’t care if Uncle Charlie pisses you off with his weird political views – keep it together.
- No snacks. The main event is enough to fill you for days.
- Take a walk. If you don’t have a good path or sidewalk to walk on, make a short exercise video. This will help you decompress before the red wine starts pouring.
- Fill your own plate. If you can – look for a smaller plate and a smaller glass to keep your portions under control.
- Hide in the bathroom. When you need a break, find a bathroom AWAY from everyone else and read or do a puzzle on your phone. (you’ll thank me for this later)
- Good appetite. Don’t go on about how the food goes to your hips.
- Drink sparkling wine or champagne instead of beer or wine. Only 90 calories per glass and oh so festive.
- Eat only the homemade desserts. The store you bought is not for you on Thanksgiving.
- If you have a cooking disaster, throw it away before anyone notices and DON’T CRY. Just kidding – you might cry! Remember, Thanksgiving is about family and friends – not the food.
- Freeze leftovers immediately. Keeping all these foods where you can see them in your fridge will lead to more overeating. I know all about turkey sandwiches, cranberries and stuffing at 2am.
What are your favorite healthy Thanksgiving desserts?
1. Slow cooker apple pie filling
Find the recipe here: Homemade Apple Pie Filling Recipe
2. Mini pumpkin pies
Find the recipe here: Mini Pumpkin Pie Recipe
3. Healthy apple crisp
Find the recipe here: Healthy Apple Crunchy Recipe
4. Swedish Apple Pie
Find the recipe here: Swedish Apple Pie Recipe
5. Apple Cranberry Fruit Salad
Find the recipe here: Apple Cranberry Fruit Salad Recipe
6. Almond Date Lemon Balls
Find the recipe here: Almond Date Lemon Balls Recipe
7. Cheesecake with few calories
Find the recipe here: Low Calorie Cheesecake Recipe
8. Fruit pizza
Find the recipe here: Fruit Pizza Recipe
9. Berry No-Bake Mason Jar Dessert
Find the recipe here: Berry No-Bake Mason Jar Recipe