This all-purpose steak seasoning is truly just that — all-purpose! It’s savory with a hint of sweet and can be used on almost any cut of steak.
I’m not going to lie, McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning is one of my all-time favorites (#notsponsored) — even for seasoning other than steak. It just does its job every time. So we decided we needed to make our own homemade steak seasoning that also “did the job every time” but with a slightly different flavor profile and fewer ingredients.
This really is the best steak seasoning. It’s garlicky, salty and slightly sweet at the same time. We used kosher salt instead of table salt because it sticks better to the meat (we learned this from America’s experimental cuisine!). We’ve tried this dry steak rub on just about every cut of steak and my favorites so far are the cast iron steak and the skirt steak.
Get the top 10 5 star recipes!
Join our email list for new recipes and BONUS: get the top 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipe e-books!
How much steak seasoning do you need for 1.5 kg. of meat?
It all depends on how seasoned you want your steak, but we use anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup steak seasoning for a 1.5 pound steak.
How to season steak
- First, pat the steak dry with a paper towel.
- Then sprinkle the steak seasoning over the steak and use your hands to massage the meat. Do this on all sides of the steak for optimal flavor.
- Let your steak rest for about 30 minutes with the seasonings before cooking. This will result in super tasty and tender steak 😀
How to cook seasoned steak
You can really use any cooking method you want with seasoned steak! Check out some Fit Foodie tutorials on different ways to cook steak:
- Make it spicier: If you prefer a spicier steak seasoning blend, add more red pepper flakes. If you like it hot, add some cayenne pepper to the mix.
- Amp up the sweetness: add a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon to this spice to really bring out the brown sugar.
Cast iron steak
You’ll love this steak seasoning on our cast iron steak pan. It’s juicy, flavorful and perfectly seasoned!
Why make a big batch of this steak seasoning?
The great thing about this recipe is that it yields 1/3 cup of steak seasoning, which is enough for 2 thick steaks, but it’s very easy to double or quadruple the seasoning as you make it to save for later.
Save: Simply make a large batch using the ingredients below, then store in an airtight container in your spice cabinet for up to 3 months.
Store extra steak seasoning in an airtight container in your spice cabinet for up to 3 months.
If you have leftover steak seasoning, try using it on roast chicken, glazed carrots (trust me), or our chicken and rice (trust me again, this is amazing).
Add all the steak seasoning ingredients to a jar or small bowl and mix.
Season both sides of steaks with 1 tablespoon steak seasoning. Massage the seasonings into the steaks and make sure they are completely coated. Let the steaks sit at room temperature for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe yields about 1/3 cup of steak seasoning, which is enough seasoning for 1.5 pounds. of the steak.
Calories: 22kcal Carbohydrates: 5G Protein: 1G Fat: 0.2G Fiber: 1G Sugar: 2G
Photo: The photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin of The Edible Perspective.