January 20, 2024 15 Comments
These 25 healthy after-school snack ideas will keep you from scratching your head when your kids run out the door.
If you don’t have kids and work outside the home, check out my list of the best healthy office snacks.
I love this snack list because we all have most of the ingredients in our pantry (or can get them easily). Also, a teenager can easily make any of the snacks on the easy list and the more complicated snacks with recipes (below the obvious list) on their own.
The perfect snack is a combination of fruit or vegetables and protein for about 150 calories. Not all of these are perfect like apples and peanut butter, but they come pretty close.
Obviously, we don’t want our kids to have chips, soda, or candy as a snack every day. That’s what they’re going to ask for, but we have to be creative and give them something they’ll like as much as junk food. This is a very tall order because it means someone will have to prepare something as opposed to opening a bag.
I understand how opening a bag is easier than spreading peanut butter on an apple, especially when you’re hungry and tired. But you can do it!
Healthy after school snacks are totally doable once you get into the habit of not eating crap.
My kids always change what they want after school. My son recently asked me for ramen noodles (not healthy), but I’m trying to find a way to make them a healthy snack. Add an egg and some broccoli? Why not? Add only half the sodium? It could work!
The most important factor is to not give up because if your kids are anything like mine, they are constantly demanding fast food, chips, cookies, and ice cream. Do I give them these things? Of course! But not every day and not after school.
Good luck with this snack list and let me know how it goes!
Below is a list of 25 easy and healthy after school snacks and 12 more complicated healthy snack recipes.
- Plain or flavored yogurt or cottage cheese with chopped fruit and granola
- Whole grain or oatmeal, dry or with milk, yogurt or raisins
- Trail mix or healthy granola bars and fruit bars (look for high fiber and no trans fat)
- Peanut butter sandwich with raspberry and cashew jam
- Chocolate Graham Crackers with Peanut Butter
- Quesadillas (melted cheese on whole wheat tortillas)
- Rice cakes, plain or topped with peanut butter or cheese
- Popcorn, homemade or store-bought (look for a brand that is low in sodium and fat)
- Tortilla chips and salsa or guacamole or top with shredded cheese and put under chicken
- Muffins or breads, such as banana, pumpkin, corn, or zucchini (you can make a healthy batch and freeze them)
- Mini-bagels with cream cheese and sliced cucumbers
- Hummus dip with pita, crackers or vegetables
- Sliced avocado with wheat crackers
- Hard boiled eggs
- Celery stuffed with cream cheese, Boursin cheese or peanut butter
- Edamame in the shell, lightly sprinkled with sea salt
- Chickpeas or other beans, eaten with fingers or toothpicks
- Olives, pickles, canned artichokes or hearts of palm
- Frozen peas (not thawed!)
- Apple slices with cheese, peanut butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips or honey
- Fruit Kabobs (Cut fruit on a stick and dipped in vanilla yogurt)
- Smoothies: combine fresh and/or frozen fruit, fruit juice and yogurt or soy milk
- Dried fruits such as mangoes, apricots, raisins, prunes
- Ice cream cone or waffle bowl with yogurt and chopped fruit
- Bananas and/or strawberries with semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate syrup
1. Peanut Butter and Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipe
Find the recipe here: Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip Recipe
2. Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie
Find the recipe here: Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie
3. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
Find the recipe here: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
4. Banana Peanut Butter Waffles
Find the recipe here: Banana Peanut Butter Waffles
5. Chocolate Banana Protein Pancakes Recipe
Find the recipe here: Chocolate Banana Protein Pancakes
6. Waffle Iron Banana Bread
Find the recipe here: Waffle Iron Banana Bread
7. Fruit and nut bars
Find the recipe here: Recipe with fruits and nuts
8. One Minute Waffle Iron Baked Apples
Find the recipe here: One Minute Waffle Iron Baked Apples
9. Pumpkin dip for apples
Find the recipe here: Pumpkin Apple Dip Recipe
10. Chia Seed Chocolate Pudding Recipe
Find the recipe here: Chia Seed Pudding Recipe
11. No Bake Vegan Brownies
Find the recipe here: No Bake Vegan Brownies Recipe
12. Homemade granola
Find the recipe here: Homemade Granola Recipe
Share your after school snack ideas.
Other posts you might like:
The best healthy office snacks
These best healthy office snacks will keep you away from the vending machine. I know what’s in the vending machine and most of the time – the food is rubbish…..